Web: From History to The Future
Web; the face of the Internet. Web has evolved too much and has faced many key changes during this evolution.
Today it powers almost all the business on Planet earth. Almost everybody's life has been touched by Internet.
Access to the Internet has become one of the basic rights of an Individual.
Initially web was only a basic face of internet and networks. There were static html pages with static links. All the pages were written and managed and known to very few people.
This web was only meant for the Universities and Science Agencies with a main motive to share information between them. The web from this phase started to grow and then on it gained a huge popularity due to its usability.
Then people researched and tried to make the pages dynamic. This made the servers with large capabilities to come into picture. And hence many languages came up to solve the motive of dynamic content generation. Some were CGI, PHP, ASP etc.
Then on moving forward to the timeline; Databases got introduced and made the data structured and drastically improved its manageability. These languages also started supporting databases.
Though the.web pages are dynamically generated; the web pages were separate from each other.
Then the AJAX came as a superhero to boost the web and its performance And AJAX has changed the web to make it appear more like a desktop application where everything loads faster.
And simultaneously the platforms and hardware have become more advanced that they made the browsers capable to run a complete application inside them.
And see we have reached today’s age where a small device called mobile phone is called as The Smartphone and its every bit works in compatibility with the internet and web.
The bandwidths or the networks has also grown to immense amount. You can perform your each and every task on the web and internet; whatever is the size and processing requirements; its at your fingertips.
Now the websites are more likely to be called as Web Applications. These web applications run taking care its every corner and capabilities.
Now web apps are becoming a single page website where whatever you want see on it is loaded on the same page and without making you wait for it.
Now some tools are emerging to make it more comfortable for user to browse it. And along with that it has bees easy for the developers to create manage and deploy them very easily.
Some of the very popular tools are:
- VueJS Similar to React, another Framework to make Single Page apps
- Angular An MVC framework built with TypeScript (a JS Superset) to make Web Applications
- jQuery A library for easy DOM traversal and manipulation. Along with that a Swiss army knife if used alone.
- Twitter Bootstrap A library framework from twitter team to develop fast and beautiful websites.
- LESS LESS is Preprocessor to make the CSS coding clutter free.
- REST Representational State Transfer is API construction mechanism to construct the platform and language independent data transfer. It uses JSON to do so.
- Node.js A JS runtime environment that runs JS on the server. Its an alternative to Apache and is written in JS.
- GraphQL Similar to REST API, GraphQL provides architectural tools and philosophy to design API to achieve better solution to the Client Needs
All of these are just cutting edge things in the web development.
Future is more beautiful. Imagine a world where everything is derived by the web. Every step of us will be helped by web. You may have seen many concept videos showing you the future of computing and daily life.
Here are some concept videos of future which are all derived by the web.